Monday, July 14, 2008

Antrim, Derry, and Dublin...For the Last Time

Hey all-

I'm happy to say that today is my last official day of travel abroad. Tomorrow I will be up early catching my bus into Dublin Int'l and coming home to the States! I have had such a blast out here and I have so many stories to tell all of you. Today I took a tour up to Northern Ireland and saw the Giant's Causeway, which was breathtaking. The whole coast line has a panoramic nature to it and the basalt formations are so big you can climb on them! I went on to Derry which is the only walled city that has not had the walls destroyed ever. Some places were 32ft thick. This is also where the tragedy of Bloody Sunday took place and I got such a sense of struggle and battle here. The whole city's vibe is interesting, full of conflict and strife. They have political murals all around and I learned that many compare the streets of Derry to Ancient Native American Burial grounds because so many people have died here. It was a moving experience for me. I am thankful that I didn't grow up with violence and death all around me as most of these people did. Tomorrow I fly home and end my 4 week trip, but on the 17th I head to Iowa with my dad to ride the RAGBRAI. My dad and I are looking forward to a week ride across Iowa from the Missouri to the Mississippi River. I hope my legs are fit!! I am glad to be coming home and will be in a house near you so let's have some tea and chat about life and great adventures.

Cheers!

-Ben

No comments: